Most Active Stories
- CSAS Tops the List of Chattanooga's Grade Schools in 2013 Report
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- St. Elmo Holiday Hop Features Food, Art, Open Houses & More 12/14
- Oxford American Examines The Music of Tennessee
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
Talking to Birds
Irene Pepperberg to Deliver Lecture on Communicating with Parrots
Dr. Irene Pepperberg can talk with parrots. Not just to them. She actually communicates with them. Pepperberg has taught African Gray Parrots to count, speak, and understand certain things. Her research has made her internationally known in the field of animal-human communication.
Pepperberg teaches at Brandeis and Harvard, and she'll be in Chattanooga to deliver a public lecture tomorrow. Two of the people involved in bringing her to campus, UTC anthropology professor H. Lyn Miles, and Samantha Eliot, a senior anthropology major at UTC, discuss Pepperberg's work and what to expect from the lecture.
The lecture is at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 29, in the Raccoon Mountain room of the University Center at UTC.