Most Active Stories
- Non-Verbal & Non-Linear, Jill Burton’s Singing Creates Spontaneous Soundscapes
- Choral Arts of Chattanooga Presents 'Wonderful Peace' Holiday Concert 12/13
- 'A Christmas Story, The Musical' Adds New Depth to Beloved Characters
- Give a meaningful gift through WUTC
- UTC recognized by U.S. News and World Report for work with student veterans
Joan Crawford's Oscar Sells At Auction
Originally published on Wed September 26, 2012 10:36 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Our last word today in business today is poison, as in box office poison. That's what John Crawford was once called by theater owners.
But she showed them, with her comeback movie, "Mildred Pierce."
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
When she was nominated for Best Actress, Crawford was so nervous, she skipped the Academy Award ceremony. Last night her Oscar from "Mildred Pierce" sold at auction for $426,732.
GREENE: And here's what John Crawford said about that Oscar: I deserved it.
INSKEEP: As do you, David.
GREENE: Thank you, Steve. Well, you deserve the business news each day on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm David Greene.
INSKEEP: And I'm Steve Inskeep. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.