Most Active Stories
- Actor Theodore Bikel Dies At Age 91
- 'Mockingbird Next Door' Gives a Rare Glimpse into Harper Lee's Life
- Chattanooga: A 'Great City With a Broken Heart' After Marines Murdered
- Gunman's Motivation Unclear After Shootings At Tennessee Military Sites
- Start It Up Episode 31: Robyn Carlton Focuses Lookout Mountain Conservancy on Community
Joan Crawford's Oscar Sells At Auction
Originally published on Wed September 26, 2012 10:36 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Our last word today in business today is poison, as in box office poison. That's what John Crawford was once called by theater owners.
But she showed them, with her comeback movie, "Mildred Pierce."
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
When she was nominated for Best Actress, Crawford was so nervous, she skipped the Academy Award ceremony. Last night her Oscar from "Mildred Pierce" sold at auction for $426,732.
GREENE: And here's what John Crawford said about that Oscar: I deserved it.
INSKEEP: As do you, David.
GREENE: Thank you, Steve. Well, you deserve the business news each day on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm David Greene.
INSKEEP: And I'm Steve Inskeep. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.