Most Active Stories
- Actor Theodore Bikel Dies At Age 91
- 'Mockingbird Next Door' Gives a Rare Glimpse into Harper Lee's Life
- Chattanooga: A 'Great City With a Broken Heart' After Marines Murdered
- Gunman's Motivation Unclear After Shootings At Tennessee Military Sites
- Start It Up Episode 31: Robyn Carlton Focuses Lookout Mountain Conservancy on Community
The Latest: Concerns from Voters, Workers, Lawmakers on Volkswagen Chattanooga Union Vote
Poll Shows Concern About Union’s Effects
Nooga.com conducted a poll of Hamilton County voters, and found that 55% of them believe if United Auto Workers unionize the local plant, it will have a negative impact on economic development. About four hundred voters answered questions for the survey.
Union Vote a Hot Topic on Chattanooga Reddit
Several people claiming to be Volkswagen Chattanooga employees are expressing their opinions in this discussion thread on the Web site Reddit. User ggutshall87 says workers have been penalized for supporting the unionization effort. “I’ve seen people get written up 3 times in one day for something that happened 3+ months back for showing support to a union,” ggutshall87 writes.
Reddit allows users to comment anonymously and does not verify users’ identities.
State Rep Urges “No” on Union
State Rep. Gerald McCormick said, “We are glad they [Volkwagen] are here. But that is not a green light to help force a union into the workplace,” according to the Times Free Press. In the same article, State Representative Bo Watson claims that unionization could hinder future financial incentives for expanding the VW plant.