Most Active Stories
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Celebration of Southern Literature: What Charles Frazier Thinks of 'Cold Mountain' Opera
- How Candidates Announce Can Say A Lot About Their Campaigns
- Muse of Fire: Ten Original Short Plays Written by Kids, Acted by Adults
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Murray County Schools Are Improving Graduation Rates With Reading Software
The graduation rates in Murray County Georgia public schools rose from 57% to 94% in the span of a few years thanks, in part, to technology offering reading and language software.
The Scientific Learning software used in the elementary schools is called Fast ForWord and offers a series of video game type lessons to improve sound discrimination and early reading skills. Upper grades use Reading Assistant to improve reading comprehension and more advanced reading skills. According to Murray County School Superintendent Dr. Vickie Reed, the improvement in reading and classroom skills have led to increased student confidence, more participation in class, and a renewed interest in education for students that have completed the Scientific Learning programs.