Most Active Stories
- Listen: CDE's Mary Poppins - The Musical
- Why Do Most Galaxies Die? It's A Case Of Strangulation, Scientists Say
- NPR's Steve Inskeep Seeks Chattanooga, North GA Photos for 'Jacksonland' Site
- Harriet Tubman Wins Unofficial Contest To Be On $20 Bill
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Murray County Schools Are Improving Graduation Rates With Reading Software
The graduation rates in Murray County Georgia public schools rose from 57% to 94% in the span of a few years thanks, in part, to technology offering reading and language software.
The Scientific Learning software used in the elementary schools is called Fast ForWord and offers a series of video game type lessons to improve sound discrimination and early reading skills. Upper grades use Reading Assistant to improve reading comprehension and more advanced reading skills. According to Murray County School Superintendent Dr. Vickie Reed, the improvement in reading and classroom skills have led to increased student confidence, more participation in class, and a renewed interest in education for students that have completed the Scientific Learning programs.