Most Active Stories
- Janisse Ray’s ‘The Seed Underground’ Explains Startling Loss of Seed Diversity
- Velo Coffee Turns to Kickstarter to Fund New Roaster
- States That Raised Minimum Wage See Faster Job Growth, Report Says
- Supernatural Suspense for Young Shapeshifters in 'Island of Fog' Series
- Book News: A 'Treasure' Of Thrilling Westerns from Tim Champlin
Radon Action Month 2011
By Rabbit Zielke
Chattanooga, TN – The Environmental Protection Agency has designated January as Radon Action Month. Radon is naturally occurring radioactive gas that can build up in your home, threatening the health of you and your family. Radon gas is the primary cause of lung cancer in non smoking Americans and is a health risk that can be prevented. The EPA publishes materials available online for home owners and construction companies with information on radon mitigation.
The Chattanooga Hamilton County Health Department can provide information that will help you understand this threat and how to test your home or business for radon gas levels. Test kits are available to measure the levels of radon in your home and can be found at hardware and home improvement stores. The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation will be offering a limited number of free radon test kits for Tennesseans.