Most Active Stories
- Successful Entrepreneur Paul Cummings & Foundation Leader Cordell Carter Team Up to Launch TechTown
- City of Chattanooga Designates 140-Acre Downtown Area as 'Innovation District'
- Pentagon's Money-Saver: U.S. Troops To Leave 15 European Sites
- Start It Up Ep 10: Why a Good Bookkeeper Matters and Chattanooga's Filmmaking Community is on Fire
- Douglas Tallamy: Why Home Gardening 'Transcends the Needs of the Gardener'
Radon Action Month 2011
By Rabbit Zielke
Chattanooga, TN – The Environmental Protection Agency has designated January as Radon Action Month. Radon is naturally occurring radioactive gas that can build up in your home, threatening the health of you and your family. Radon gas is the primary cause of lung cancer in non smoking Americans and is a health risk that can be prevented. The EPA publishes materials available online for home owners and construction companies with information on radon mitigation.
The Chattanooga Hamilton County Health Department can provide information that will help you understand this threat and how to test your home or business for radon gas levels. Test kits are available to measure the levels of radon in your home and can be found at hardware and home improvement stores. The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation will be offering a limited number of free radon test kits for Tennesseans.