Radon: Is Your Home Killing You?
Radon gas is harmless in small concentrations and can be found everywhere in the United States but in concentrated levels it becomes a serious health concern.
Radon gas is the second highest cause of lung cancer in America with 1 in 15 homes containing high levels of radon. Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can be found in high concentrations in the Tennessee Valley. This colorless and odorless gas seeps through the ground and if there is a crack in your foundation or flooring, radon gas can be found inside your home as well.
The Surgeon General and the Environmental Protection Agency suggest that if your home has not been tested for radon in the last 2 years, it is time to check for this dangerous gas. Testing for radon is as simple as purchasing a test kit and setting it in your basement or the lowest level of your home. There are short term and long term test kits available. Once the testing strips have been in place the required amount of time (depending on the test you purchase), send the materials to the laboratory listed with the test. The results of the test will determine if your home or building requires further testing or if mitigation is required.