Most Active Stories
- Scientists Discover Massive New Magma Chamber Under Yellowstone
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Charity Begins at Home: Chambliss Center's Roots Go Back to 1872
- Miss Chattanooga 2015 Reaches Out to Help Others
- Castle Rock Climbing Site Protected By Conservation Easement
Russian Plane Missing In Indonesia; New Jet Was On Demonstration Flight
"A Sukhoi SuperJet 100, the first new Russian passenger plane in more than two decades" has gone missing while on a "demonstration flight" in Indonesia, Bloomberg News writes.
Russia's RT News adds that "hijacking and a high-altitude crash into a mountain have not been ruled out." A search is underway.
According to The Associated Press, there were 46 people on board. It adds that "diplomats from the Russian Embassy, potential buyers from several Indonesian airline companies and journalists were among the 38 passengers on board," according to Indonesian authorities.
Agence France Presse says "the Superjet only made its first commercial flight last year and if a major accident is confirmed it would be the first disaster to involve the aircraft, which is made by legendary Russian planemakers Sukhoi. The plane is crucial to Russia's hopes of becoming a major player in the modern aviation market and improving its image in an industry scarred by frequent crashes of aging Soviet-era jets."
We'll update this post as the story develops.