Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- Listening to the Lake Sturgeon in the Tennessee River
Why Pay Less?
Tennessee Ranks #1 In High Sales Tax
At 9.45%, Tennessee has the highest combined average state and local sales tax rate, according to a recent report by the nonpartisan Tax Foundation think tank. In this segment, WUTC's Michael Edward Miller speaks with Scott Drenkard, a Tax Foundation economist, about the reason why the foundation collects and publicizes this information. They also discuss the oft-touted claim that in Tennessee, the sales tax is high, but it's offset by low income tax.