Most Active Stories
- Non-Verbal & Non-Linear, Jill Burton’s Singing Creates Spontaneous Soundscapes
- Give a meaningful gift through WUTC
- The Civil Air Patrol Places Wreaths at Chattanooga National Cemetery
- The Impressions Are Still Singing, Still Recording in their 80's
- UTC recognized by U.S. News and World Report for work with student veterans
Why Pay Less?
Tennessee Ranks #1 In High Sales Tax
At 9.45%, Tennessee has the highest combined average state and local sales tax rate, according to a recent report by the nonpartisan Tax Foundation think tank. In this segment, WUTC's Michael Edward Miller speaks with Scott Drenkard, a Tax Foundation economist, about the reason why the foundation collects and publicizes this information. They also discuss the oft-touted claim that in Tennessee, the sales tax is high, but it's offset by low income tax.