Most Active Stories
- Celebration of Southern Literature: Jill McCorkle on 'Life After Life' And Death
- WTCI's 'Underground Revealed' Debuts
- Celebration of Southern Literature: A Chat with 'The Joker' Himself, Andrew Hudgins
- In Rural Virginia, Truckers Can Stop For Coffee And A Physical
- How Candidates Announce Can Say A Lot About Their Campaigns
Why Pay Less?
Tennessee Ranks #1 In High Sales Tax
At 9.45%, Tennessee has the highest combined average state and local sales tax rate, according to a recent report by the nonpartisan Tax Foundation think tank. In this segment, WUTC's Michael Edward Miller speaks with Scott Drenkard, a Tax Foundation economist, about the reason why the foundation collects and publicizes this information. They also discuss the oft-touted claim that in Tennessee, the sales tax is high, but it's offset by low income tax.