Most Active Stories
- North Korea Claims Missile Launch From Submerged Submarine
- Why Do Most Galaxies Die? It's A Case Of Strangulation, Scientists Say
- Listen: CDE's Mary Poppins - The Musical
- Harriet Tubman Wins Unofficial Contest To Be On $20 Bill
- Start It Up Episode 22: UTC Chancellor Steve Angle Partners with Startup Community
Why Pay Less?
Tennessee Ranks #1 In High Sales Tax
At 9.45%, Tennessee has the highest combined average state and local sales tax rate, according to a recent report by the nonpartisan Tax Foundation think tank. In this segment, WUTC's Michael Edward Miller speaks with Scott Drenkard, a Tax Foundation economist, about the reason why the foundation collects and publicizes this information. They also discuss the oft-touted claim that in Tennessee, the sales tax is high, but it's offset by low income tax.